Saturday, May 29, 2010

this week i like...



This week I like ... this chair face lift. I am itching to try my own. I actually have a few old pieces around here that I'll start work on soon, so watch this space. Click here to see the site this chair came from plus other great restorations.

This painting by none other than MY MUM! Click here to see her website: Ruth Phipps. I love it.

These lemon and poppyseed muffins are the yummiest! Got the recipe from my mum (not sure where she got it from) and I can't tell you how good they are:

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

Ingredients

2 cups self raising flour (or use plain plus 3 tsp Baking Pwdr)
1 cup White Sugar
1/2 cup poppyseeds (one packet)
finely grated rind of 2 lemons
100g butter (melted)
2 large eggs (whisked)
1 cup milk (or plain yoghurt)

Topping
Juice of 2 lemons
1/4 cup White Sugar


Method

Measure flour, sugar and poppy seeds into a large bowl. Grate in lemon rind.
Melt butter, add milk and eggs. Beat with a fork to combine.
Tip liquid ingredients into dry and fold together until flour is dampened. Do not over mix.
Spoon into 12 greased or oil sprayed regular sized muffin tray and bake at 200 C for 10-15 minutes.

Topping
While muffins cook, squeeze lemon juice and mix with sugar. (Do not dissolve sugar)
As soon as muffins removed from oven, brush lemon sugar glaze over top of muffins. Cool on a wire rack.


These wall adhesives by Love Mae. Am currently saving my pennies to purchase for my daughter's room.


And finally, for any mums who may be reading, this is some great stuff.


I went to a parenting seminar by Diane Levy this week and was impressed. I love her emphasis on the need to provide children with emotional support for frustrated/upset/angry feelings through her 'boring cuddle' method. And alternatively, emotional distance (in the form of a time out) for controlling/non-compliant behavior. Very similar to the strategies and theories presented in my favorite parenting book Loving Our Kids on Purpose by Danny Silk, however Diane provides specific strategies for dealing with toddlers. So I actually find it a little more practical. And it really seems to work! Go Diane Levy! To have a look at or purchase her books click here.


Hope you've had a great week! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love that before and after! And your mum is SO TALENTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that's an Alison Holst recipe? I have it too and it is a winner! The wall stickers are gorgeous! And just becuase I can't miss a thing...I also vote for Diane Levy - we have been working away at a few things and already the boring cuddle is making a difference! Am loving her help with food issues as well...so far our weekend has had surprisingly good eating form Lucia! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great--we've had some food success too! And general success really! FYI there's a whole chapter on demanding biscuits in 'the book of answers' (it's a great book--so practical). x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails