
★ ★ ★ ★
**note: review contains spoilers**
Gone With the Wind is long but worth it. Even though the ending is frustratingly unsatisfying. I'm pretty sure I watched the film as a child because, although I don't remember much about it, I do remember the slightly gutted feeling I was left with afterwards. And I have a vague recollection of being incredibly irritated by Scarlett, even at a young age. She is potentially one of the most irritating fictional characters of all time. You just want to shake her. However, she's somehow endearing nonetheless, and as a reader you do want the best for her. I know it would probably cheesify the book but couldn't there just have been a few more chapters that showed Scarlett succeeding in her new quest? That gave a little more hope for her relationship than merely 'tomorrow is another day'? It's this leaving it wide open that I find hard to handle. Need some positive closure. ;)
I was fascinated to learn more about the American Civil War. I think that, in many ways, Rhett's political views (and to some degree Ashley's) must have been Margaret Mitchell's. I love the way his character almost stands out of time, giving perspective and revealing prejudice and folly. The book is, however, undeniably un-politically correct. Rhett somehow gets away with his atrocious behaviour and we are left to view everything as Scarlett's fault. If written today the book would also be shockingly racist, however, for the 1930s it was potentially progressive. Mammy and Melenie are the two characters who could most accurately be described as good people--the authentic moral highground--and respected as so by the two main protagonists and the author. You do have to cringe through chunks of it though, especially the early scenes where Prissy features.
On a more amusing note, I do recall that Gone With the Wind (or the film version at least) did break some ground in film censorship. My grandmother used to tell me that her mother didn't let her watch the movie when it first came out purely because of the scene where Rhett carries Scarlett up the stairs. So scandalous--funny! And didn't the producers have to pay a large sum to the censorship board to get the word damn in? 'Frankly my dear, I don't care' doesn't have quite the same ring to it. :)
I can see why this book has been so highly acclaimed. A thoroughly enjoyable early 20th century classic.
No comments:
Post a Comment