Just when you thought my blog was a mishmash of too many elements I go and add in another one.
Recipes...yay!
When I was engaged my lovely friends Becs and Katie threw me a kitchen tea shower. They organized for everyone to bring an 'old favourite' recipe, and Becs (being her clever self), created a book for me filled with the donated recipes and many pretty pictures. There are a number in this book I've tried but also a lot that I have yet to attempt. So as for the exciting new facet of my blog: my two year old sous chef and I are going to get baking and cooking! I figure that 'old favourites' are given that title for a reason so, as long as I don't botch them up, they're gonna be good. :) Thanks, blogger, for the motivation (my husband thanks you too).
I've started with an awful lot of baking! I won't be baking three plates of sweets every week. I just happened to have a few fun events on the calendar this week to warrant the first three recipies. I've started with Lemon Pistachio bites and Choc Bit Slice (these two were given to me by a couple of inspiring women: Rae Candy and Jo Thom) and an old favourite, my dear Nan's Sultana cake. It's really the best--a taste of my childhood.
So here goes...
Note: I'll share the recipes with you as I go. Since they were handwritten for me it's hard to tell exactly who created them or where they come from. So if you recognize any let me know and I'll give credit where it's due. :)
Pistachio Lemon Bites
300g (10.5 oz) butter, softened
3 tbsp caster sugar
150g (5.5 oz) pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
2.5 cups plain flour
1 tbsp lemon rind
icing sugar for dusting
Preheat the oven to 180C (355F). Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 4 minutes or until light and creamy. Add the pistachios and beat for 2 minutes. Fold through the flour and lemon rind and mix until well combined. Roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, flatten slightly and bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar. Makes 30.
Nan's Delicious Sultana Cake
500g saltanas
250g butter
1.5 cups sugar
3 eggs
1.5 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp each vanilla essence, lemon essence, almond essence
Wash saltanas, put in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 mins. Strain and pour hot fruit over butter in large bowl. Cream sugar and eggs together then add to butter mixture when butter is melted. Sift in flour and baking powder and add essence. Bake in tin lined with baking paper for 1.5hrs at 180C.
Jo's Choc Bit Slice
100g melted butter
1 packet plain biscuits, crushed
1 packet Nestle choc bits
1 cup long thread coconut
1 cup slivered almonds
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
Melt butter, pour over biscuit crumbs and mix. Press into the bottom of swiss roll tin.
Then sprinkle over choc bits, coconut, almonds and drizzle over condensed milk. Bake at 180C for about 20-30mins or until golden brown.
Cool in tin, then slice and store in fridge.
I couldn't help but add some pictures of that sous chef I mentioned...









YOU AMAAAAAAZING LADY!!!!!!!! LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XXX
ReplyDeleteBooks and Bits and Pieces is the best blog ... ever.
ReplyDeleteI like you two!!! :)
ReplyDeletemmmmmmmm...I have been eating those lemon pistacio biscuits for the last 24 hours and still cant get enough. Sorry scales - they are far too good to deny. Mark is getting nowhere near them if I have my way!
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO GOOD!!!!!! And the sous chef is super cute BTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Already handing these ones out so I think you could DEFINITELY file these as FAVES!!!!!
ReplyDelete