![]() |

This was so quick and easy to make. I'll outline the steps below, however I am very much a self taught sewer so there are likely to be neater and more efficient ways out there. Feel free to comment and let me know.
I had a square of this Little Red Riding-Hood fabric lying around and some scraps of red, however an old tea towel would be perfect. I think I'll actually make a few more using tea towels for fabric.
Step 1. Chop two corners off your square of fabric. Mine were perhaps a little deep (I tend to experiment as I go) so next time I won't take as much off and I'll keep the cut straight, not curved, for simpler sewing. Whip around the edges with an overlocker (or in my case a large zigzag stitch). Fold over edges and sew. (If I was being very careful I'd double fold and iron before sewing--needless to say I was being characteristically hasty.)

Step 2. Chop 3 strips for the neck and the back ties. Make sure you measure them out to fit over a toddler-sized head. And if you want to wrap and tie the straps around the body, they'll need to be longer. Mine were roughly 30cm each.

Step 3. Fold strips and sew, leaving a cm or two unstitched at each end. Chop a little off the corners on the sewn side (as shown). Grab a safety pin and use it to pull the fabric through on itself then iron flat.


Step 4. Tuck the rough edges inside the strip and sew down. Sew to apron in a square shape and reinforce by sewing an X through the middle.

Voila! Apron in use...

Could make for a cute (and cheap) gift for a little person. Watch this space for a few more using tea towels...

I love it! You clever clogs. Staple item, huh? Benji wouldn't be without his apron for baking.
ReplyDeleteYes! I think I need a few more. x
ReplyDeletep.s. We finfished off your sponge pretty quickly!! :)