Sunday, August 22, 2010

why I blog








It's nearly six months since I began this blog and in that time it has evolved into something quite different from my initial intentions (I'm going to have to change my blurb soon). My experimental blog on books didn't last. Books are a part, but not the largest part. As I have begun to share creative projects and day-to-day events, post links to inspiring sites and shops, experiment with cooking, sewing, photography, etc, I have found that my ever-evolving blog has become a way of both containing myself and enjoying myself. It is a strange thing--so personal and so public at the same time. Being a relatively private person by nature it has occasionally made me nervous. I have found myself wanting to write, beginning to write and deleting what I have written on a number of occasions.

Yet, recently I have been thinking that I'm just going to continue to embrace it. To post for no reason other than because I love it. Because it makes me happy. Because, when I read over previous blog entries and other peoples' blog entries, I am inspired to be more thoughtful, more positive, more creative, more loving, more vibrant and inspiring. Blogging reminds me, regularly, to love life. It reminds me to see, prize and protect those small moments at home with Sophia--the day-to-day stuff--in the way that I really want to. It reminds me to not let the months roll by only to look back and see that I've missed them.

I love comments and followers (thankyou so much to those who do) and get super excited when I see that international readers have spent a bit of time here. I am definitely a 'words of encouragement' sort. Those things give me such a boost, but they're not why I do it. I am not doing this for praise or to present a certain image. I am doing it because, at the moment, this little blog is something that makes me excited. I think Howard Thurman summed it up well:

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive.
And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."


I love getting ideas through blogs. Being energized by other people. Learning more about what makes them excited or what inspires them to be creative. I have begun to imagine that I live in a world where we all feel free to share and be who we are without trying to fit some image or meet some measure, and without the fear of contempt. It may seem delusional--the world is full of sneers and scoffs and (in NZ) that tall poppy thing--but we can all choose not to fear it and even not to feel it. Bring that on, I say. Blog, I say.

This is a great entry by Kelle Hampton (my friend Emma and I are a little obsessed--yes, we may have chosen to read through three year old posts, and yes, we may have started from the beginning). I love this quote: by painting the sky, van gogh was really able to see it and adore it better than if he had just looked at it. I feel the same way as Kelle. That's really what blogging is for me. A way to 'love it more' and to 'delve for that beauty that would otherwise go unnoticed'.

So here's a little of this weekend's beauty. I am loving experimenting with photography. One day I am going to save my pennies and get a nice camera.



One of my absolute favourite things: little stripey legs.









Another favourite: brisk beachy mornings.















































One of Sophia's favourite things: homemade beaches. That's what dustpans and shovels are for right?

























This is that delicious golden light that falls at around five o'clock.


























What is a rainy day without the baking (and eating) of cupcakes? Or eating the icing off the top at least.



















Or a trip to Borders in full fairy costume?




















The following photos are so Sophia. She loves cars. Of course she will find the one book with a pop out yellow taxi in it to drive around the children's section for half an hour.













And on one of those rainy evenings when we hadn't much else to do, we took off to the top of Cliff Road and discovered the statues. Sophia is, for some singular reason, also in love with Maori statues. She talks about and draws pictures of the ones we walk past at Omaha. Little did we know that Cliff Road is home to three statues! And all within hugging distance (yes, there were many kisses too). Sheer delight.









































Well, that's all for now. Lots of love and happy blogging! (And, if you're tempted to start, I say just do it!)

x


P.s. I'll close with this: the look that the sight of Daddy arriving at the playground brings to a little face.














8 comments:

  1. LOVE!!!!! Your thoughts, quotes, photography, the little fairy (FAB outfit!), stripey legs, beach, sunsets, Maori statues... LOVE IT ALL!!!!! And yes... I'm tempted...!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT Blog D, inspirational :-), and now Sophia has got more than just the "Blue" statue!! LOVE the photo's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the thoughtful post. I love reading your blog, being inspired by what's inspiring you and feeling like I'm somewhat able to keep in touch with a world that's so dear to me (Auckland!). I love that Sophia is into cars and Maori statues too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite post so far :) You are so fantastic and inspiring!!! Keep them coming xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks SO much you four!!! You are very encouraging!!!! :) xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great words.....It's amazing the vulnerability you put yourself through in such a public space but the result is just so inspring and encouraging. When do we ever get the time to talk to each other about all these moments in life...and the things that just light us up inside? Reading and viewing the moments in your life is such a blessing and I love being inspired by your creativity. LOVE YOU AND EVERYTHING YOU DO! Also....photos are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! I'm thinking you have a major talent there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks heaps B! Totally agree and love YOU and all you do!!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee, I have been catching up on your blogs - and they are seriously amazing. I LOVE reading them, seeing all your beautiful photos - I am so happy reading your blog. The thing that inspires me most of all though is the obvious effort you put into Sophia having fun - so inspiring.

    I love the photo of her seeing Nat! Keep it coming babe. xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails