Sunday, May 30, 2010

'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again...'



★ ★ ★ ★

Reading Rebecca was fun--it was like a postmodern Bronte novel. It actually felt like a combination of The Great Gatsby, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights: The Great Gatsby for the Art Deco element--characters in Jazz Age attire, smoking cigarettes, ordering cold lunches and throwing parties on the terraces of grand estates. Jane Eyre for the shy young bride factor. And the big old house aspect. And the being haunted by the dead wife of your older husband thing. Wuthering Heights for the disturbing turn the plot takes towards the end (I won't give anything away, but there's a definite Heathcliff sort of twistedness to it).

It's hard to say much about the story without spoiling it for prospective readers (there are a few twists I don't want to risk giving away). But I loved du Maurier's evocative writing. I'm not normally a fan of long setting descriptions and overly flowery language, but I was actually quite captivated by the scenes described in this book. I felt almost as if I were on the grounds of Manderley. Eerie and haunting and beautiful. I also loved the attention she gave to detailing food. You'll want to read this book while eating a boiled egg and cold shaved ham with a pot of coffee on the side.

Recommended if you love haunting romantic fiction. (It is a little disturbing though, just to say I warned you.) I might have to get my hands on the film version--apparently it was Alfred Hitchcock's first.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm I may have to read that again. It's so interesting to hear your Wuthering heights comparison because I really liked Rebecca but have to admit (and again I read it a long time ago) Wuthering heights drove me insanely mad. I just can't cope with Heathcliffe and Cathy. I almost needed therapy after their bizzare relationship!!! Extreme maybe???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I know what you mean about Wuthering Heights. The relationship between the unnamed narrator and Maxim was nothing like Heathcliffe and Cathy--no where near as twisted & obsessive--& neither was Maxim's relationship with Rebecca. I thought the similarity was more in the turn the book took towards the end (& the disturbing nature of it). The way that you are torn while reading it because part of you wants to sympathize with (& like) the protagonists yet their behaviour is immoral and bizarre. It also had that haunting/gothic feel to it, although it was no where near as blatantly supernatural as Wuthering Heights (no actual ghosts, just the feeling that they could show up at any moment).

    I might have to read Wuthering Heights again actually, it was ages ago. You should totally read Rebecca again, I'd be interested to see what you think. I really enjoyed it. (Good reading weather!) x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails