Just a few pics from a little friend's party this week (some scrumptious cuties)...









Unfortunately, at Sophia's cousin's party, my poor little camera fought a battle with low lighting and lost. But I was able to salvage a few priceless expressions. It's all about the presents. Delight for those receiving...


...and those watching.


:)
On a different note ... my little girl is, as of this week, in a big bed at last! Yes, we have waited a while. I am a huge fan, though, of doing things when they feel right instead of forcing them because a book says so, or because everyone else has already done so. I would rather wait for that spontaneous moment when I just know we are both ready. Well, it came one night last week. Sophia was sick and asleep in my arms at three o'clock in the morning and I decided then, desperate to lie down and despite my plans to wait until we move house, that tomorrow we would ditch the cot. Funny how, out of nowhere, it suddenly seemed to me that we were long overdue and had to make the change right away. That's my favourite way to work these transitions. We did the same when we ditched the dummy and when we moved from bassinet to cot and sleep sack--a spontaneous decision based on a gut feeling that the time was right for both of us. It's when I try to stick to external timeframes and benchmarks from books that things don't transition so smoothly. The pressure's off has become our parenting/transition motto!
So the following morning I pulled down a single bed from upstairs and my 'little-little turned big girl' made the transition so smoothly I could hardly believe it. The first half hour of her 'daysleep' consisted of loud singing, crashing and banging. To be honest, I wouldn't have minded if she decided to ditch her sleep for her toys from now on. If an hour of 'room time' was going to be it then so be it. So I must say I was rather surprised when the crashing ceased and two and a half hours later I had to go in and wake her.
Here's what I found, hence the crashing and banging. But she slept (under her sheets too) and has done so ever since--who would have thought? Definitely not what I expected.




I imagine I will do the same with potty training--again another thing that many have mastered with children much younger--and starting kindy. We're not ready yet, but I can feel the day coming when we will suddenly decide that we both are, and jump in to it happily with the pressure off. They really are all so very different, our little bubbas, so how can one idea of the right timing for things be what is truly right for all of us? I am convinced it can't. Thus, in my short experience of motherhood to date, I have concluded the following: Go with the gut Mama, not the pressure.

So now we have a new room setup complete with makeshift cot blankets, mismatched colours and a clashing assortment of baby things and little girl things. I know I'm supposed to be organising my new arrival's room, but since he won't have one until we eventually find a house to buy I am exhausting my nesting energies on Sophia's new and exciting little girl room. Or a duvet cover and blanket that fit properly at least.
I have been garnering ideas since then--here are a couple that have inspired me so far. (Sourced from Apartment Therapy.)


I think of all of the rooms I have seen so far (in this last week of hunting at least) these first two are the most 'me'. I just love the quilts. I'm going to start there (have already sourced some exciting vintage scrap fabric), so, quilting experiment # 1 here I come!
And birdies, I love birdies...



Another take on the birdie idea my friend Bec has used in some of the party pics above. So clever! I must say though (and the photos didn't do it justice) Bec's version is the coolest I've seen. She used a massive twiggy branch and hung it from the ceiling, suspended over her dining room table. Looks incredible! Click here to view her blog.


And these last two I love for the use of children's art as wall decoration. I have always been a huge fan. I'll post a few pics of the way I have begun to display Sophia's art in a couple of days.


Be back in a few days with an alternative version of the craft jar gift idea, plus a few things I've been working on in Fia's room...see you soon!
x
Oooooooh I love your blog!! What beautiful photos of the party (love the bubbles and present opening watching pic - classic) and such gorgeous rooms!
ReplyDeleteLove those rooms! And so love your story about Fia's transition to the big bed! Tell me - did you leave the puzzles on the bed for her to have a play with or were they on the floor and did she put herself back into bed? Door opened or closed? And thanks for the beautiful party photos - you were an epic official photographer!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment PaisleyJade! Checked out your blog--love it!!
ReplyDeleteBec--actually her shelf had the puzzles on it (beside her bed) and she just grabbed them and 'played' with them and dropped them on the floor while still under her sheets! I don't think she's ever actually tried to get off her bed!! Funny! & door closed. xx
HOORAAAHHH another "Dee" :)
ReplyDeletevery exciting (but kinda confusing too~!)
totally agree on the timing thing...it's the only way I've ever been able to stop breastfeeding....always decide to quit after the "last feed". Otherwise I'd get waay too sentimental if I knew which feed was going to be the last and would never be able to stop haha
LOVE your blog. just beautiful.
Dee
LOVE the 'pressure's off' parenting/transition motto - will try to adopt this for myself! And FAB photos!!! Love your work Dee x x
ReplyDeleteLOVE your comments re. timing. Heck yes.
ReplyDelete