Thursday, November 25, 2010

getting a little festive



Nat and I are more than a little enthusiastic about Christmas. I have always felt this way but my once grinch-ish husband has a new found love that rivals my own. He'd be tying giant glowing candy canes to the roof given half a chance. Seriously. Well, now the pohutukawas are blooming, Christmas lilies are filling the garden centres and the first of December is around the corner. Weeee!









And we have been talking for weeks about the beginnings of our festivities. #1 = advent calendar. I thought I'd make use of the pack of origami paper I'd bought for Will's crane mobile. I found this tutorial for folding stars which ended up being the perfect shape and size for storing a note and a chocolate coin inside.









So I wrote 25 little notes, bought 25 little coins, folded my stars and filled them. One star for Sophia to open each day until Christmas day. Fun!














I stapled a piece of brown string to each star and tied them on to a cherry branch. I had originally intended to make a mini Christmas tree out of leafy twigs to hang the stars on but it proved a bit of a challenge finding the right kind of twigs. This branch would look good over a mantle, but laking one of those in this house I've settled for hanging it over Sophia's bed.














And so the Christmas build up begins! Hurrah!

x

p.s. I couldn't resist taking a few snaps of the bougainvillea that covers our back fence. Stunning.







12 comments:

  1. i hope one of your notes say "you are so self-controlled for not opening all of these advent stars before its time even though they are hanging right above your head every night"!!!
    haha, amazing!! :)

    ps, your guy has a CHARMING smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that Dee should say that, I thought that too! What a brilliant idea though. It must be origami week, I've featured it on Monday and today as well. I love your stars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks absolutely fantastic. The stars are gorgeous and I love the way you have used the stick to present them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a spectacular idea...I just love the colours. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a CREATIVE IDEA!!!! And the finished product is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE INCREDIBLE!!!!!! LOVE YOUR WORK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, the scenario had crossed my mind! I have a sneaking suspicion that she doesn't even realise it's a possibility! We'll see...! :)
    Thanks for your lovely comments!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool Oragami! :) I love the branch and the coint idea. And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bouganvillea. Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi found and joined your blog. Via Creative space :-) I LOVE your photo's!! The decorations are soo pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful origami stars and such a great advent calendar. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE IT!!!!!! L.O.V.E IT!!!!!!!! So clever and the hot pink nails are looking so...HOT!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always looking for new and exciting advent calendar ideas (that I seldom end up creating!) - this is just beautiful, what a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so funny - Nat and I had that in common. Having a kid has made me much less Grinch-ish to the point of Christmas craziness in our household!! xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails