Wednesday, July 6, 2011

between the teeth






For about three years now my husband and I (to varying levels of success) have been working on something. We go through stages of letting it slip, and stages of being pretty on top of it. But we are both convinced that it's worth the effort to attempt to control it.






It's that innocent looking pink thing between our teeth. That slippery weapon. The one that can just as easily get us into sticky situations as it can lift the atmosphere in the room and let some laughter in.

The tongue. And I don't mean swearing (although we could probably do with controlling that a bit more--at least I could anyway), but the tenor of the words that we speak. In any given situation do I use my tongue to make things better? Or to make them worse.






I read about this dart throwing experiment recently, where the people in one group were made to speak out negative statements about their abilities before they threw the darts, and the other to speak positive words. It probably doesn't come as a surprise to hear that the upbeat group scored higher.

I also read about studies where positive words were shown to increase confidence, performance and health in individuals. Children included.

Words make a difference.






I have noticed how grumbling can turn molehills into mountains. When I complain about something I can so easily begin to stew about it. And let it build upon itself. And then I can get into this negative frame of mind where bad things happen to me more frequently. They just do. And I notice each additional little bad thing and soon...everything sucks. (In that pessimistic and irritating 'grumpy bum' kind of way.)

And then I have noticed times when I have chosen to 'let it go'. Look for the good. Speak hopefully instead of pessimistically. Choose to think about and talk about the things that I am grateful for. And there are always many. And yes, when I head in this direction the world is sunnier. As cliched as that sounds, it just is.






Words are so powerful. I know of numerous people who were told as children (or heard it spoken about them) that they were shy. Consequently they became so cripplingly shy that it took years, in each case, to break out of the rut.

I want to be so careful what I say about my kids. I find myself, too often, labelling my children based on my frustrations with their behaviour. Loud. Explosive. Full on. I read somewhere (Ian & Mary Grant's Growing Great Girls I think) that children don't strive to better themselves, they strive to prove themselves. Or to prove what has been said about them. As in, if they are told that they are 'naughty', for example, they won't try to be good, but try to prove that they are, in fact, naughty.






I personally believe that there is value in speaking things that aren't as though they are. For example, I know that my daughter is compassionate. I have seen her display the most adorable compassion. And I have seen her display the complete opposite. Many times.

I can also 'see' in my mind's eye, her growing to become a beautifully compassionate woman...

So when I find myself repeating all too often "don't be rough", "stop taking things off your brother", "that's very rude", "stop hurting William" I find her fulfilling those very statements more and more, and I am getting better at reminding myself to tell Sophia that she IS a gentle girl. And a compassionate girl. Which she absolutely is. I just need to say it more. Because--surprise surprise--when I say it more she acts it more.

I need to let her OVERHEAR me telling others (telling my friends) how compassionate she is. How loving she is. How kind she is to her little bro. I need to speak over her what isn't (fully) as though it is. Because when I use my little pink weapon in this way I just know that it is powerful.






Call it positive self talk if you will. I believe in it and there are many studies and books that will back me up on that count. But I personally believe that there is more to it than that. As the proverb goes: life and death are in the power of the tongue.

And if that is true, which I believe it is, I want to be careful what I do with this little tongue of mine.






No, more than that, I want to use this tongue to create life. And to, as much as I can, make good out of (or in spite of) the hard stuff and the crappy stuff.


Any thoughts on the topic? I have been dwelling on it so much recently...



:)

x


14 comments:

  1. Mmm, yes, a hard one to live all the time eh? And that thing about letting them overhear great things about themselves is so true! So easy to have a rant about the things they drove you crazy over and not the awesome things they did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...over the past few years with my work I've realised how much power the tongue has and how many (italics if I could!) live under the weight of negative words spoken over them at some point normally in childhood. Isn't it crazy how we so easily recall the negative things (no matter how silly!) and put them before the positive things we've heard and know ourselves to be. Eti & I are working our way (slowly!) through 'Growing Great Girls' (awesome book!) and are really intent on trying to create a fun, encouraging atmosphere with our girls (as well as that balance of boundaries!) so that they do grow up hearing the truth of who they are and the qualities we see in them. Because we realise that often through different cultures/families it's almost normal not to praise or encourage, rather be more critical...and we don't want that. So we're also imagining the young women we want to see go out into the world in some years and do our best as well as pray that they will carry those qualities. Of course it's MUCH easier said than done, and my tongue runs out of control way too often, but we're working on it too :) It's amazing how much life and goodness and thankfulness we can find just by changing the way we speak about situations and others. Thanks for your post :) I also love the photo story that goes along with it...it kinda felt as though we were sitting down having a coffee while the children were having fun playing, and talking about the hopes we have to do our best for our kids. Beautiful :) And it's worth the hard work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful and inspiring post Dee. I'm going to think about this over the next little while. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully written. So much to ponder on within these words. It's a big learning curve for me too. I really like what Ian and Mary grant have to say on parenting. Very wise stuff. Especially the lines that start "in our family we ........" where we can affirm the positive behavior we want them to model. What an honor and a privilege it is to have this opportunity to grow the next generation. Overwhelming at times of course but also such a blessing.

    Thanks for such a thought provoking post Dee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very inspiring post, Dee. I have always been conscious of building my boys up with words. When I was a kid and my dad got frustrated he would say things like "you're so stupid" - which really hurt. I always try and critique the behaviour, not the child, but what you said about affirming positive traits rather than pointing out negative ones makes total sense. I will be reminding myself of this today. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true :o) And love the playdough photos. My kids still enjoy playdough, though we don't do it so much any more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading this post... very true about positive thinking.

    Isn't it just so true, that negative things happen to negative people and you have to think positively to bring positive energy to you - you can pick out the people that are negative and down-beat about life ( and I tend to stay away from them, as they can easily bring you down in their moods )

    I do try to be positive about all things, even when life throws a curve ball or two - what is the point in being negative, it won't solve anything... it will only make you dive deeper down into the negative hole that you can create for yourself.

    Very interesting about your kiddies and the positive affirmations - must remember this when my kid is older...love it, will put it into practice.

    Thanks for the wise words. Love your blog

    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s love the photos too! what a perfect combo with your words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was JUST thinking about this this morning. my dad (old scholl, speak what's on your mind, don't beat around the bush kinda guy) said to my daughter (7) yesterday that she should stop snacking (she was eating a biscuit) or she would get fat. *GASP!* i said, "um, things NOT to say to a young girl Dad!". he replied, yeah well sometimes they NEED telling.
    *double gasp!!*
    i know he just thinks i'm being way too PC and "modern" but seriously this culture we live in is very inforgiving. freaks me OUT!!!

    from experience, i have also found that if the kids start speaking snarky to each other, 100% guarantee you're talking snappish and curt and to them. when i speak gentle and patiently to my kids, they speak the same to each other. :)

    Thanks! X

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the many reasons I started my blog was because of the words/actions/being combo... I want to be happier and grow happy children, therefore I need to act, speak of and see the good, positive, and happy everywhere and LIVE it as much as possible. Positive self talk - it works! Amazing what we are all capable of if/when we put our minds to it. Great post x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic reminder Dee - thanks, at 14 months my daughter is just starting to really be aware of what is going on around her; and I am aware she is now literally taking everything in - including tone of voice etc! I have also got that book by Ian & Mary Grant, and will be rereading as she gets older!

    ReplyDelete
  12. BRILLIANT post Dee... Thank you for reminding me... LOVE your work X X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post Dee, and something Ive been really aware of lately. Id really love to get on top of it before I decide to have kids! Thanks for a super real, timely post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous way of putting it. Words are so important. My 3 year old is so sensitive to words, the tone of voice etc - we have been trying really hard lately to limit negative comments and reaffirm the positive. I really don't like the days where I feel like all I've done is say no/don't do that/stop it/don't hurt her etc. Fabulous pics to go along with this post - looks like Sophia had lots of fun with all that gorgeously coloured play dough! And I love Williams jumper in the second to last pic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails