Is it just me or does this calf have a crazy look in its eye?
I know they're the lunch, but they were making me a little nervous.
Normally when we pass the cows on this paddock they back away as we walk. We try to inch closer to them. Today the herd consisted mostly of curious
They were walking over and checking us out. They had us cornered in three directions at one point. (There is no zoom on this lens.)
Has anyone ever been mauled by a calf? This thought may have popped into my head as I stood a little taller and shuffled a little further in front of my babies. Anyone from the country is probably laughing. Debs, I imagine you are rolling your eyes at me right now. ;)
I was very cool and collected. If I was a little more used to cows I would have let Sophia pet them. (She was begging me.) But they started scraping the dirt with their back feet like bulls do and it was making me unsure.
Eventually they got bored of us and walked away. No food here sorry girls!
Do any of you know much about cows? I know it sounds completely naive but...has anyone ever been bitten by one? What was with that dust scraping action? I'm just curious because next time I'll let them come even closer if I know it's safe. Sophia was in heaven.
You see, as much as I wish I lived in the country I really am just a curious city girl.
I secretly wish I was a horse whisperer. Or an animal whisperer of any kind. (The larger the beast the cooler.) I wish I was the one who could read the animal's mind and put everyone else at ease.
I used to pretend I owned horses and had pet lion cubs as a girl and a part of me (the little girl part that has never left) still wishes I did. :)
Sophia adores animals and is completely confident around them, which thrills me. There is a paddock right next to our local coffee shop and we often stop to pet the horses. One of the best parts of Sophia's day. I like to hang back and let her go for it. She runs off and climbs up on the fence and giggles when the horse lets her pat its nose. She is very gentle.
In the back of my mind I know that horses can bite. The mum next to me held her children back. Is this what I should be doing also? Is patting a horse too much of a risk for my girl? We've chatted with the owners and they were pretty confident that their horses are safe. But it is a risk, right?
It's that tension between wanting to keep your kids safe and wanting to let them experience life. I have been thinking regularly of this post by the lovely Simone from GreatFun4Kids. A brilliant post about allowing your kids some good old fashioned freedom in this world of cotton wool anxiety and controlled activities. I guess what I am saying is that I have weighed the risks and I choose to let my daughter experience the thrill of this simple thing--going up and petting the horse by herself--because I think that what this gentle risk is doing for her character outweighs the possible danger. Something about that feels right to me.
I just want to continually be wise enough to judge when to allow my kids more freedom and when to gently loosen off the reigns (in spite of measured risk). I want to eventually be able to teach her to weigh up her own risks and make the right choices by herself after all. Don't I?
So maybe next time we'll pat the cows. Baby steps, baby steps. (I'll just wait for your instruction on bovine antics first.) ;)
Back tomorrow with 'something pink'.
Happy Friday all!
:)
x

















you are adorable! :)
ReplyDeleteif the calves were younger and still being fed milk, they would most likely slobber, suck and drool all over your hand if you let them...but i've never heard of a cow biting. they are pretty big (intimidating) animals if you're not used to them I suppose, but really they're very docile.
i once heard that horses can tell if you're scared...and ever since then i've been pretty nervous around them (although trying desperately hard NOT to be...so they won't SENSE it!!!)
i think children are very intuitive with animals and so long as the animal can't sense your agitation or nervousness then i think Sophia is perfectly safe petting the horse. good on you for letting her.
(and yes, that cow in the first picture does look a lil crazy...!)
x
That cow totally looks crazy haha!
ReplyDeleteand I love the horse pic, he looks wise, or maybe a little smug?
I've never heard of anyone getting bitten by a cow and I have many diary farmer friends so I actually hear quite alot of cow stories (usually concerning horrific sounding birth stories). I was bitten on the stomach by my friends pony though when I was a kid...I survived. I don't even know if I cried?
I have this weird thing about cows, I studied them for a year in 5th form art, drawing and painting every detail repetitively so I almost look at them now as a sculpture. sounds strange, but I think I got so used to their body shape every time I look at them now I mentally break them down into shape, muscle, angles etc. yeah I'm weird.
Great pics! (yet again!!;)
Oooh, such beautiful cows! And such a beautiful daughter you have. I would let her pet the horses...horses are (in general) gental creatures, I don't think they'd give her a nip or a bite - they'd probably just run away if she was upsetting them. But as you say, she's gentle, and you've talked to the owners, so it's all good. (I used to be a horse fanatic, can you tell? Haha.) My Campbell loves animals also - he would definitely want to pet the horses/cows, and I would let him as well. My main concern with the cows would be them standing on the kids' feet, so I'd just keep an eye out for that! I've never heard of a cow biting someone...
ReplyDeleteWOW. Gentle creatures, even. Not sure what's up with the spelling! Haha
ReplyDeleteYour pictures are so inspiring!
ReplyDeleteI'm very cautious around large animals, even if they're just calves, so kudos to Sophia for her confidence! I'm totally a city girl, it's obvious :)
I love it - I grew up on a farm so loving these pics! The cows won't bite - they're probably a whole lot more scared of her than she is of them - I'd let them come as close as they like as long as she didn't get in behind them or anything in case they got a fright and took off. And I'm sure the horse would be fine from behind/on the fence too.
ReplyDeleteI'm so all about letting my kids have a calculated amount of danger (well - for them to feel like they're pushing their comfort levels just a little). Who wants to grow up covered in bubble wrap? Go Sophia! My girls are animal lovers too - can't wait to get them a dog in a couple of years time.
Beautiful pics AGAIN - gosh you're a clever lady!
Amazing pics once again Dee! Love that you let Sophia pet the horse - I reckon its fine, as long as she's over the fence so she cant get under their feet - same as the cows - the biggest worry would be the feet I think! What a great Mum you are!
ReplyDeleteBrilliant! Love the images! I know it's irrational but Cows freak me out. It's their stare - and their weird way of advancing on you. Freaky!!!!!
ReplyDelete